Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super-Bowlers

I don't follow baseball that much, but since it is the Super Bowl, I thought I would get into the spirit of the event. While at my computer I had the game on in the background and occasionally watched grown men run up and down a court chasing a ball to make a goal. I find it amusing that this is what people wait all year to do. They buy gigantic televisions to watch this. Why? What is it about sports that require this much devotion and expense?

All right, I'm just kidding about my ignorance about sports. I'm well aware that the Super Bowl is the football game of the season. I know it pitted the AFC's Indianapolis Colts against the NFC's Chicago Bears and I even know the score. I still don't know why this is such a big deal. I look back at the days when I followed basketball like a second religion, and yet I don't know what got into me when the Finals came around. It was just another game.

Even though the Finals were big, what I remember enjoying the most was the All-Star game and I wonder if the same is for those who enjoy football. Coming up is the Pro Bowl and I think that would be a much more entertaining game to watch. While the competition isn't as intense as each team plays soft, I always thought seeing the best players in a league compete together far more interesting.

For any of these games, would I buy a $3000+ television to watch it in all its HD glory? I suppose. I know that if I had the money and the technology was more readily available back then, I would have plunked down some serious cash to watch the NBA Finals in high def. Looking at it now, it's stupid, but that's just my opinion.


No comments: