Monday, February 5, 2007

Weaving Dreams

Yesterday I remembered there were programs out there called WYSIWYG's (What You See Is What You Get) to help with the creation of websites. I used to use on called FrontPage several years ago and it allowed me to do some amazing things. Now, with the advent and widespread usage of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) I decided to look back into these to free up some of the work.

Last evening I downloaded a free trial of Dreamweaver 8 from Adobe's website. This seemed to have all the tools I wanted to make creating a valid website with ease. I installed it and began working with it that evening. While it does a good job of keeping me organized, you still need to know the basics of CSS, its structure, and how to place your tags within your HTML document.

The program was difficult to use at first, because facing a blank screen, much like a blank canvas represents a daunting task ahead. I didn't know what to do or where to start. I took a layout I worked on a couple of months ago down from my bulletin board and began piecing together the code. The site is coming together nicely, the only thing holding me up are the graphics and what I'm going to do with all this space.

Here's a quick tip, make sure you have a plan for the space you create. I have a lot of room that I don't know what I'm going to do with. Several things are running through my head, but I'm unsure how to implement them. I just have to think everything is going to work out in the end as it normally does.


No comments: