Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Hello Down There

A great movie from the late 1960's, Hello Down There is a raucous comedy starring Tony Randall, Janet Leigh and featuring a young Richard Dreyfuss. Tony Randall plays the role of Fred Miller, an architect for an underwater development company; his wife Vivian (Janet Leigh) a novelist, and his two children, Lorrie and Tommy are band mates in a band called Harold and the Hang-ups led by Harold Webster (Richard Dreyfuss).

After a less than stellar visit with his boss to the underwater abode, Fred was ordered to tear the house down. Fighting to keep his dream alive, Fred convinced his boss to let him and his family live in the house for 30 days. What emerges is one of the best comedies of the '60s.

I saw it many years ago and it remained in my conscience in the years to follow as one of my favorite movies of the era. I looked for it on DVD but eventually gave up until my Mom found it on Amazon.com. She put it on her Christmas list. Even though I bought it for her, I did so selfishly because I wanted to see it again, on DVD, not the VHS tape was taped it on. If you ever get the chance to see the movie, do it because it's funny, has great music and watching Janet Leigh dance is one of the few joys in my life.


No comments: