Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Shut Your Pie Hole

Yesterday I went to lunch with my Grandmother while my Grandfather was out with my cousin, Samantha. We went to Newport Bay, a restaurant that specializes in fish dishes but has other things on the menu, thankfully. I got something without fish, a turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich and a cup of clam chowder while my Grandmother ordered the fish tacos. While I'm morally against fish tacos, because they go against nature, I allowed her to order them and I even took a bite of one.

We talked about everything except politics, I firmly believe it was a first for her and I really enjoyed our conversation. I wish more of our conversations had nothing to do politics. We finished lunch and she suggested that we get dessert. Sure, I'm up for anything at this point, even though I was feeling a little full from lunch and my meager breakfast a few hours earlier.

I get the waitress to bring us a dessert menu and we each order the Mud pie. I never eat at Newport Bay, in fact this was probably the first time in more than a decade that I even set foot in one, so I didn't know what to expect going in. We order the $4.50 dessert and I fully expect them to bring out this little piece of Mud pie, because history has shown that by paying more for something, you tend to get less than you should. On the flip side, when you pay less for something, you tend to get more than you should. In this instance, the pie was enormous! I got about halfway through it and I couldn't eat any more. I had to sit back and practically loosen my pants.

After a few minutes of talking, I realized I was still shoveling the pie into my mouth. I wasn't even hungry, I was getting sicker with every bite and I could tell my Grandmother was feeling the same way. We both began laughing hysterically over the situation until finally we both put our forks down. I was able to finish mine, but she left a bite or two.

I was sick through dinner where I ate about one and a half pancakes (Mom felt like pancakes). I didn't eat until about 10:30 the next morning when I had a peanut butter sandwich. I skipped lunch and now I am sitting here at 6:30 with nothing but a yesterday's meal and a peanut butter sandwich in me. Needless to say, that was one big lunch.


No comments: