Thursday, December 14, 2006

Storm Watch!

There is a big storm raging across Oregon and I had to walk both to and from work in it. My day started at 6:30am this morning when I set off to work in a downpour. During the 25-minute walk, I got wetter and wetter and even wetter still, until all the clothes exposed to the rain changed to a much darker and heavier version of their former selves.

I get inside the store and hang up the sweatshirt I was wearing in hopes that it would dry within the next 9 hours of my day. Every couple of hours during my breaks, I would check to see how dry it was only to find it still very wet and very heavy. I was beginning to get concerned when I got back from my last break to still find it cold and wet. I didn't want to walk home in the rain with my sweatshirt still wet.

By the time I was set to leave, my sweatshirt was damp, but dry enough to be relatively comfortable to wear. I put on my sweatshirt and head outside to brave the elements once again. While it was only sprinkling, the wind was in full force and tossing me around like a hooker who disobeyed her pimp. While waiting for a light to change, I stood and leaned back; the wind was able to support me with ease. During a long stretch of road, the wind was so strong it was difficult to walk against the wind without it pushing you back at every step. I'm certain that if I tried to jump forward, I would fly away.

All the while, I was staring up at trees waiting to dodge them if they suddenly fell. I conjured the ability to foresee disaster as Alex Browning did in Final Destination, playing every conceivable angle in my head with every gust of wind. If a branch was to fall, what were my options? Thankfully, I was able to get home in one piece and alive, but the danger was far from over. Trees could still fall and crash through roofs as we see nightly on the news. If I post tomorrow, you'll know that I made it through the night. Hope to see you then.


No comments: