Friday, January 19, 2007

The Amazing Race: All*Stars

It is no secret that I love The Amazing Race. I love it more than any other reality show on television and arguably more than any show on television. I also hate it more than any other show on television, because I am so invested in the race and teams that I cannot relax to save my life.

When last season ended, I finally was able to take a breath. Now, the eleventh season of The Amazing Race is starting in under a month and I can't wait! This time, they are bringing back some of the most popular teams from the past ten seasons.

Season 1
Kevin & Drew - These guys were great! They made a brief cameo in the family edition of The Amazing Race as hot dog vendors. The teams were supposed to find them and ask for a clue.

Joe & Bill (Team Guido) - The smug couple who lost big time. This was the biggest upset I think of the entire series. Team Guido were in the front of the pack for nearly the entire race, but unfortunately ended up stuck in Alaska while the other teams raced to the finish line. They never officially completed the race as they were too far behind but they received a note informing them that the other teams had already finished.

Season 2
Oswald & Danny - They really surprised me because they practically ran the race very calmly. I remember specifically they would go to five star hotels and have the concierge help with reservations and directions. They even took the little money they were given in the race to go shopping.

Season 3
John Vito & Jill - To tell you the truth, all I remember of John Vito & Jill are their names.

Teri & Ian - Same with Teri & Ian. Apparently, they are the oldest team to ever finish the race.

Season 5
Charla & Mirna (Mirna & Schmirna) - These two aggravated me beyond words. They occasionally talked about their faith and then go stab everyone in the back. The most memorable moment though is when Charla, the dwarf, hoisted 50 lbs of meat on her back and carried for a quarter of a mile.

Season 7
Uchenna & Joyce - This team was tough. One specific memory I have of them was when they had to shave their heads to get a fast-forward. One interesting note, Uchenna used to work for Enron and Joyce used to work at WorldCom.

Rob & Amber - I seriously thought they were going to win. People recognized Rob everywhere, and his luck was so good, I thought them unstoppable. The best moment was when, after deciding to quit a roadblock that required the participant to eat four pounds of meat, Rob convinced other teams to quit as well.

Season 9
Eric & Danielle (Eric & Jeremy : Danielle & Dani) - Eric & Jeremy came in second and Dani & Danielle came in eighth. Now Eric and Dani are dating so they are representing season 9. I just remember Danielle and Dani were nicknamed the "Double D's" and tried to act smarter than they were. Eric and Jeremy were cocky and ultimately lost it when they couldn't finish a puzzle faster than BJ & Tyler.

Season 10
David & Mary - As much as I like them as people, they ran the race terribly. They didn't understand the point of competition and they practically took themselves out of the race. I would be surprised if they make it very far in this race with the competition they are facing, and how they ran the last race.

Dustin & Kandace (The Beauty Queens) - The chicks were fierce. One of the hardest racing teams I think I've seen on The Amazing Race. I was worried that Tyler & James were not going to make it. It's too bad they didn't make it into the final three, because that would have been the best episode ever in the history of the series.

This season is going to be awesome. You have a group of people who spent some time going over what they did wrong and what they are not going to do again. They understand the race timelines, realize their weaknesses and are racing towards that $1 million like no other season before. I can't wait until February 18 to find out how it goes.


No comments: