Tuesday, January 9, 2007

iPhone a Reality

A few days ago, I was standing in the shower thinking about iPods. I tend to do a lot of thinking in the shower; probably most of my brilliant ideas come from me standing in the shower. Anyway, I'm standing there thinking about when will the release of the next iPod be. I was hoping that it would happen within the next year as the unveiling and launch of the next iteration of this groundbreaking product had been delayed, and there was only speculation about it's functionality.

Well, it seems the iPhone is the new iPod. Looking over the iPhone, I am totally and completely infatuated with it. It looks beautiful, it plays my music, it plays video, it has a 2MP camera, does the Internet, runs Mac OSX with the inclusion of widgets, pretty much anything you need to keep in touch and enjoy your media. However, until I listen to Steve Jobs talk about it, I'm somewhat disappointed that this isn't an iPod.

One of the few downfalls of this remarkable new device is the 8GB hard drive. I think it's somewhat small for something that will store photos, music and video content in addition to widgets and contact information. The next disappointing thing is it only has up to 5 hours of talk, video and browsing. On the other hand, for what it does, 5 hours is pretty good. The next disappointment is the price, $499 with a two-year agreement for the 4GB model, $599 with a two-year agreement for the 8GB model. Ouch! That's the price of a PS3! To be quite honest, I think I would rather have a PS3.


No comments: