Saturday, January 6, 2007

Library Treasures



I love the library because on more than one occasion I walk away with gems like the one above. The music may be terrible, in this case, it's average, but the covers are fantastic. This particular CD is entitled, "Not Your Mother's LDS Music". LDS as you may know, stands for Latter Day Saints and so this CD is supposed to squash any preconceptions of religious music.

There are a couple of things other than the title that makes this cover hysterical. The first is found on the back cover, it states, "You may think you know what 'LDS Music' sounds like, but if you haven't heard these great artists, you don't." Really? After inserting the disc into the player, my Mom said about the first song, "This sounds familiar." I responded, "This is what all Christian music sounds like." I knew exactly what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. What's more, I'm sure no one who picks this CD up would be that surprised by the pop-styled harmonies and acoustic sound.

Another rather interesting note is the sticker in the upper left corner of the front cover used for categorizing the CD and its alphabetical placement. It says, "Christian Not". For a religion that has struggled to be known as Christian, I find it more than a little ironic that an LDS CD bears this sticker that suggests otherwise.

I love it when all these elements occur in one incidence, a great title, a hysterical blurb on the back cover and an ironic sticker. This is a trifecta of brilliance.


No comments: