Friday, January 12, 2007

Bread is Life

I would have posted this yesterday, but the wounds were too fresh for me to relive and so tonight, I bring you a story of disaster. I came home from work at 4pm yesterday, took off my two sweatshirts, turned on Oprah in the kitchen and began gathering the ingredients for egg bread. I make bread using a bread maker that was purchased during my time at HomePlace, America's Bankrupt Home Decor SuperStore. I just recently began doing this after a few year break, but seeing that bread maker sitting in the corner made me long for the smell and taste of fresh, home baked bread.

There are three essential parts of the bread machine, you have the machine, the pan and a paddle that mixes and kneads the dough at the appropriate time. I begin dumping the ingredients in the order it states in the recipe book, all the while sobbing uncontrollably during a segment of Oprah. I was so tired after coming home that it took me nearly a half hour to assemble all the ingredients and get the pan in the bread maker to begin baking. I leave the kitchen and take my shower.

Once I finished my shower, I sat at my computer and began writing the post directly below this one entitled, "Shake It Like A . . ." My mom comes home, an hour later she walks into my room and tells me the bad news, I had forgotten to put the paddle into the bread pan. Disappointment flooded my consciousness and I walked into the kitchen to see what was going on. I lifted the lid and all the ingredients were sitting as they did 2 hours before in the same heap. The pan wasn't even hot! Nothing had happened! We were both disappointed it was way to late to begin another loaf as it takes about 3 hours to bake.

That wasn't all the bad news I received that evening. Apparently, when I started the dishwasher that morning, a spoon fell through the hole in the silverware basket keeping the water jet from rotating and cleaning the dishes. Some of the dishes were clean, but all the silverware had to be run through the dishwasher again as well as a few plates. This news may not have been life altering, but I just didn't feel like hearing that something else had gone wrong.

Today was much better. I was able to remember the paddle, so this evening we were able to have the bread we longed for last night. Plus, I had sloppy joes for dinner, and that's always a good thing.


No comments: