Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shake It Like A . . .

Since I started officially blogging a few years ago, I began looking for things to blog about in my daily life. Sometimes there are big events, like concerts or holidays, then there are those small moments that may seem insignificant to someone else, but to me I find interesting.

I had a great example of one of those insignificant moments today. I spent the greater part of my last 4 hours at work in the fitting room, a job I've come to enjoy because people tend to leave you alone. About 30 minutes before I was off, a woman and her daughter come in and I open a room for the daughter and then go back to my post where I see the woman drinking her Jamba Juice and holding her daughter's cup while she tried on clothes.

The silence was awkward until she cut it with a bit of idle small talk, then once again we were in silence. I'm looking at the fitting room door in front of me, reading for about the millionth time the poster cling we have advertising the Old Navy Card, when out of the corner of my eye I see the woman shaking her cup back and forth.

I thought this was the most intriguing thing I saw today. Everyone does this! Everyone, when coming upon the completion of a shake or smoothie, will give it a little shake back and forth to fill in any air pockets that may have developed while drinking. They will repeat this until they sucked up every last drop of their shake or smoothie. Who started this trend? Did someone need to start it, or are we programmed to give our Styrofoam or plastic cups a quick jolt when all we are sucking up is cold air? I think this is a bit of interesting human behavior.


No comments: