Monday, January 15, 2007

Sandwich of the Year!

IMG_1123.JPGLook what I had for lunch today! It is the biggest sandwich I have ever made, thanks to the very large pieces of bread I used. I made this egg bread myself. It was the subject of my controversial post, "Bread is Life". The bread turned out fantastic, although it didn't quite look or taste like I had originally envisioned it; however, the texture was a bit chewier. Each slice of the bread was as thick as two slices of the grocery store ilk one would buy.

On it I had to put more spicy brown mustard than I normally would due to the large slices of bread. Additionally, I also had to really beef up the amount of turkey because I didn't want the fixin's to be completely enveloped by the bread. There really is a fine balance when it comes to sandwich making. Too much of one thing can overpower the flavor of the sandwich. In order to avoid having my turkey sandwich taste like a bread sandwich, I needed to take care that my turkey distribution on the sandwich was high enough. You will also notice I put sprouts on it as my vegetable. In terms of turkey sandwiches, there isn't a lot of variety. Some might ad tomatoes, avocados, maybe some lettuce and bacon. Since I'm too lazy to cut these fruits and vegetables up, let alone look for them, I decided to leave them off.

So how did it taste? Let me just say, there was a lot of bread . . . a lot. My mouth wasn't wide enough until I got past the crust. There was more sandwich than I thought I could eat in the beginning, about three quarters of the way through, I felt I was getting full, but I persevered and crossed the finish line. I felt like I achieved something, eating one slice of this bread is difficult, but eating two with sandwich fixin's, makes me believe I should be in some competitive eating event.


2 comments:

Jason said...

YES! As soon as I get some peanut butter cookies, it's on.

Eighty8Keys said...

Okay, I re-read the post and got the Seinfeld reference. I suddenly have the urge for a hot fudge sundae.