Monday, January 1, 2007

New Years Eve Day

Yesterday started out fantastic as we made our weekly trip to Best Buy where they had a selection of TV on DVD boxed sets on sale. I picked up the complete series (3 seasons) of Chris Carter's Millennium, starring Lance Henrickson. I also bought the first season of Bones and the second season of Dead Like Me. Each of the sets cost a mere $19.99; a great price and one I couldn't pass up. However, I did see they were selling every season of the X-Files for $19.99 each, which to someone who paid more than twice and in some cases four times that price, made me a little sick.

Once we arrived back home from our shopping excursion, we had a little time to waste before going to my grandparent's house for a New Years Eve celebration. Mom made some French Toast from the bread I made, and we sat and watched Big Day, a show ABC seems to racing to end. From there, we went our separate ways and did our own thing.

Two o'clock came and we made our way to my grandparent's house. We talked about the trouble my Grandfather was having with this contraption they bought at Linen's and Things that allows you to burn you audio tapes and vinyl to CD. When we first heard about it on the day after Thanksgiving, we thought it would be an awesome way to preserve old media. As it turns out, after a solid week of decent results, the whole thing crapped out on them. Now there is some debate on whether they should just return it, or exchange it for another one.

Once we exhausted the subject of the L-n-T contraption, the subject changed to Pokémon and other games my Grandfather was playing. I then showed him the game I was currently playing, Elite Beat Agents. He thought it was a cool concept, and after showing him a quick demo of it, my Aunt and Samantha arrived. Almost immediately, the group divided and my Grandfather, Samantha and I went into another room to play video games, as the ladies sat at the table and did their thing.

We all congregated back to the dining room for food and conversation, then played Disney Trivial Pursuit. My mom and I are huge Disney fans and we know a lot about the parks, but when it comes to Disney movies, while we enjoy watching them, we aren't experts so playing these games is always difficult for us. Personally, I will watch a movie a dozen or so times and still not remember all the details that are required to play such a game. However, once I'm reminded, I can recall the section of the movie with immense clarity. This ability I have is useless in a game that requires you to know the movie to begin with.

After my Aunt, Grandmother and I wiped the floor with our opponents in a very close game, we moved on to a game I generally despise, Outburst! I am a highly competitive person and I hate the way I feel when I compete, so I make every effort to not compete in anything. Outburst! is one of those games that can split families apart, except this time it was better because I had already won in DTP so the feeling of competition subsided.

Once we finished the games and dessert, we all left and headed home. When Mom and I arrived home, we picked out Thank You for Smoking to watch. It is a hilarious movie about a spin-doctor for big tobacco. It's one of those movies, no matter how you feel about the subject of big tobacco, you find yourself rooting for the "bad guy". I highly recommend you see it if you have the chance.

The rest of my evening had me working on the blog for A God in Training and then I felt too sick from exhaustion and the massive amount of food I consumed to continue. So, I lied in bed and watched a little TV until I fell asleep.


No comments: